The creators of Vivarium (2019) instead of the trailer offer viewers to look at the actors in a fragment of the film, the release date of which is scheduled for January 2020. The world premiere of the painting took place at the Cannes Film Festival on May 19, 2019. Lorkan Finnegan's debut film, “Anonymous,” was enthusiastically received by art house lovers at the Toronto festival. The director paid all the royalties received for the picture to the creation of his Vivarium.
Rating of expectations - 98% (KinoPoisk website).
Producer: Lorcan Finnegan
World movie premiere: May 19, 2019
Release in the Russian Federation: January 2020
Actors: Imogen Poots, Jesse Eisenberg, Jonathan Aris, Olga Verley, Daniel Ryan, Shenan Jennings, Inna Hardwick, Molly McCain, Shana Hart, Jack Hudson
According to film critics, the film combines such genres as dystopia, horror and satirical cinema. The plot focuses on a young couple who are in search of suitable new housing. The family hopes to find a cozy nest, but instead, on a tip from a certain realtor, it gets into a strange space. The couple finds themselves in a maze of identical houses. What awaits them in this trap, and will they be able to get out? After the disappearance of the real estate agent, the couple tries to get out of the "ideal suburb", but all roads lead them to house number 9. When the gas runs out and hope, they will have to come to terms with the fact that they are now part of the suburbs.
The name of the film was chosen for a reason. What is a vivarium - a room for the maintenance and breeding of experimental animals. And the main characters are part of some strange and frightening experience, like their children. Using simple anti-utopian images and symbols, the director manages to convey to the viewers the idea that we are all just time observers living in the vivarium.
Director and shooting
The director of "Vivarium" was Lorkan Finnegan, who shot the short film "Foxes" and the full-length picture "Anonymous". The first project of the director about a surveyor, who was driven down by trees, brought the talented Irish fame and world recognition in genre cinema not for everyone.
The script for the new fantastic picture was written by Finnegan together with Garrett Shanley. The producers of the film are Brendan McCarthy ("Once upon a time there was a tiger", "Breakfast on Pluto), John McDonnell (" Song for the Outcast "," Wildness ") and Todd Brown (" Raid "," The Loop "). Responsible for the installation of the film made by Tony Cranstone (Hamlet, Cracker Method).
Interesting but creepy documentary footage of David Attenborough from his film about the life of cuckoos alternate with a well-posed artistic component. The scenery of the painting reminds some of the average suburb, and someone reminds of the late Soviet buildings within the city.
Location: Liege, Belgium. Ardmore Studios, Dublin, Ireland.
Actors and roles
The cast of the mysterious fantasy thriller, in which the characters do not even have names, looks like this:
- the main character is Imogen Poots ("Love Failures", "Cracks", "Dirt");
- the main character is Jesse Eisenberg (“The Illusion of Deception”, “Social Network”, “Secular Life”);
- Martin - Jonathan Aris (Sherlock, Poirot, Lucky);
- Young woman - Olga Verli ("Clinic", "Scary Tales", "Vikings");
- Mom - Daniel Ryan ("What about you?", "The Tudors");
- Boy - Shenan Jennings ("Royal Finale");
- Boy - Inna Hardwick ("Krypton");
- Molly Mouse - Molly McCain (Rosie, Don't Get Old);
- The woman is Shana Hart, who will make her debut in Vivaria as an actress;
- Agent - Jack Hudson (Game of Thrones).
Viewers will be interested to know that:
- The premiere of the painting took place at the Cannes Film Festival in 2019, and was greeted by rave reviews from critics;
- The film will appeal to fans of the works of Vincenzo Natalie and fans of the Black Mirror, with whom Vivarius is largely similar in terms of surroundings and directorial ideas.
The release date for the domestic film distribution of the film "Vivarium" (2019) is set for January, the trailer is on the Web, and the cast is known, you just have to wait for the premiere and personally evaluate the project, which received high marks at the 72nd Cannes Film Festival.